Home > Family
This material is also available for sale as part of our professionally printed book entitled Growing a Godly Marriage. For more information go to www.gospelway.com/sales. It is also available as a free e-book at https://www.biblestudylessons.com/books.
Many forces in society are undermining the Biblical concept of the home.
* Divorce - Each year the number of divorces is about half the number of marriages.
* Conflict and violence - Many families quarrel continually or even become violent. Nearly 1/3 of all murders are committed between family members.
* Fornication and sexual unfaithfulness - Premarital sex and even extra-marital sex are commonly accepted.
* Rebellious and delinquent children - Many young people rebel against the moral or religious standards taught them by their parents.
* Confusion about authority and roles in the home - We are told that it is old-fashioned to believe that the husband should be the breadwinner and head of the family and that the wife should be the homemaker. Parents are led to believe that they have no right to insist that their children obey them or to use physical punishment.
* Couples who are engaged or seriously considering marriage should appreciate guidance about how to have a good marriage and how to determine whether or not they are suited for one another.
* Individuals who are hoping to marry someday, even if they are looking for somebody, still need to consider how to prepare for marriage and how to choose a marriage partner.
* People who are already married need to consider how to improve their marriage.
* Unmarried people - even if they never plan to marry - can still profit from such a study, because all around you are married people. As Christians, you should want to try to help these people understand God's will for their homes.
I do not profess to know all about marriage, but I believe God understands marriage and has revealed the best plan for marriage in the Bible. And I surely do not claim to have been a perfect husband. On the contrary, I know many areas where I have failed or could have improved, and my family can probably name other areas that I am not aware of. So, the goal is to study what the Bible says about marriage, and perhaps along the way I can help you avoid some of my mistakes.
Whether we seek to prepare for marriage or to improve our marriage, here are important areas we need to consider. Simply click on each link.
(C) Copyright 1999, David E. Pratte; www.gospelway.com
Local churches and individuals may, within limits, distribute this Bible study guide for free, but not for sale. Web sites may link to this page but not reproduce it. For details click here for our copyright guidelines.
www.gospelway.com - Return to the Gospel Way home page.
Please bookmark our site in your favorites.
Links from other web sites are welcome and encouraged:
www.gospelway.com The Gospel Way: Free Bible Study Online Materials & Guides
Scripture quotations are generally from the New King James Version (NKJV), copyright 1982, 1988 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. used by permission. All rights reserved.